Friday 15 March 2013

Day 3, 4 and 5!

Day two ended up with Zacharey wheezing really bad, Adam and I debated taking him to emerge that night but as the other boys were already in bed, we decided to wait it out and see how he was in the morning.
The morning fared no better, so after finding out that the COPC is closed for the break (because that makes complete sense, let's close the child outpatient centre... during a time when children would need it most.) I called my doctor office and asked if there was any way they could squeeze him in. Thankfully they are really flexible and know I only call if we really need to be seen. We ended up seeing the doctor who delivered Nathaniel and I laughed a bit when she introduced herself, I guess she doesn't remember me. Anyways, she took one look at Zacharey, and his breathing and told us we needed to get to emerge ASAP for chest x rays and wrote us a requisition.  She also said that to her it sounds like bronchiolitis and wrote us a script for two inhalers and an aero chamber.
Since Adam dropped us off, we walked over to HDH and were immediately sent in for an x-ray. They placed my poor boy in a tube! He was so upset, real tears and everything! I stood there with him, while they irradiated his tiny body, twice.
We were told that we could go home at this point and that our doctor would let us know in 2-3 days.  I told them we would wait for the results in emerge. There is NO way I was waiting 2-3 days for results of a chest x-ray on a 7 month old.
John was able to watch the older two and Adam came and waited with us. After about an hour of waiting (and me getting covered in barf and mucous) we were placed in another room to wait for a doctor. Another hour or so rolled around and we were sent a barely English speaking had to have been a first year resident. He was awful! Telling Zacharey to 'hold still' and to 'breathe deeply'. He gave him a tongue depressor to keep his hands busy (he kept trying to grab the stethoscope) and then told him, "no no baby, don't put in your mouth!"
I looked at him and asked if he knew he was a baby or not... *insert eye roll here*
Thankfully after summarizing what we had said several times and still not understanding why we were there he sent in a real doctor.
This guy was AMAZING. Told us that radiology said the spots on Zacharey's lungs were inconclusive and because they can't see Zacharey and hear his breathing said it was most likely viral.  The doctor said that it was sounding like it was turning into pneumonia and that he 100% agreed with the other doctor's diagnosis. He wanted to prescribe antibiotics as pneumonia in small babies can be fatal and almost always mean a hospital stay. We were all on the same page with not wanting an antibiotic for no reason as they are commonly over prescribed but in this case, it was warranted. We really didn't need Zacharey getting any sicker.
I mentioned that he was prescribed two inhalers and an aero chamber and that they would be quite costly as we don't have drug coverage. Especially the areo chamber, as it doesn't even have a prescription code so it wouldn't be covered even if we did have drug coverage.  He was very accommodating and had the nurse give Zacharey a dose of the inhaler, which would mean both the aero chamber and inhaler would need to be discarded as they are one use items. Instead of discarding them as hospital waste, they just sent us home with them!
We needed up having to pay for the antibiotics and the one inhaler. Unfortunately it still set us back $84.00, but I knew it would have been well over $300.00 if we would have had to pay for all 4 items.

Day 4
Zacharey was feeling much better but I kept all 3 boys home. My friend Miranda came over and brought us coffee. Much needed and loved coffee.  Kim ended up coming over for Grey's night. It was a pretty mellow day.

Day 5
Today the boys seemed to grate on my nerves a little more than usual. Probably because Zacharey was up seven or eight times last night. He is feeling much better but his night waking has increased trifold. I didn't think it was possible for him to wake up any more frequently than normal. He is usually up every two hours, demanding a boob. (Yes, my 7 month old still nurses like a newborn, especially at night)
He hates his meds and ether spits out his oral or throws them up.
Giving him his inhalers is torture. He screams the entire time.
Although, he is improving and I only had to give him his emergency inhaler twice today.
He also learned to pull himself up to a stand!! Crazy baby! Slow down!

I started making the capes for the birthday party on Sunday. I decided that I am sick of spending money on loot bag garbage that I know just ends up in the trash. This year I am making the little kids capes and the big kids I purchased small Lego kits.
Next time I have the bright idea to be creative, someone please kick me and remind me that I AM NOT A CREATIVE PERSON!
I will blog about the cape process tomorrow. (ish)

No comments:

Post a Comment