Sunday 17 February 2013

Double Birth Weight

Zacharey had his 6 month well baby check up on Monday. Naturally Adam had to work so I was on my own to face the scale. Overall, his weight gain was good, his growth was good and he is exceeding all milestones.
At 6 months old, Zacharey is 15lbs 5oz which is up 1lb 1.5 oz from his last weight check. His doctor was pleased with his gain but was concerned that he had not doubled his birth weigh. I made a point to ask if we should really be going on birth weight and not his lowest weight since he had lost way more than he should have. She said that it usually doesn't matter and that regardless of breast or bottle, babies double their birth weight at 6 months and triple at 1 year.

She then brought up both Alex's and Nathaniel's growth charts. Which I find completely irrelevant as Alex was formula fed and has a different father sperm donor. Nathaniel was only EBF for one month (one of my biggest regrets) and then had a mix of formula and breast milk until 4 months. Both boys were given solids early. This did not seem to matter to the doctor. 
She was also concerned about us not giving Zacharey rice cereal. Not so much about him not getting the cereal, but about him not getting the iron from it. When I told her that we are doing Baby Led Weaning and that Dr. Jack Newman advises not to give rice cereal as it is void in nutrients. She then told me I am competent enough to just google foods that are high in iron. I am not concerned about his vitamin intake. He is getting all that he needs from me and besides, food before one is just for fun!

I was messing around with numbers as Zacharey is 'supposed to' triple his birth weight by one year. Which would mean he needs to be 25lbs 14 oz. He will need to gain 10lbs 9oz in 6 months. At this point it seems impossible. We were given the okay not to come again for a weight check until his 9 month well baby. I am uncomfortable with not going monthly, so I requested another appointment for his 7th month. Unfortunately, we were not able to schedule an appointment until he is almost 7.5 months.

At his appointment I also addressed my issues with the nurse we had been seeing. Our doctor seemed surprised about the constant push for formula and complete disregard for weigh gain and her rude comments. I told the doctor that I am more than willing to come in whenever needed but I am outright refusing to see that nurse again. I also told her that if it were necessary for me to supplement Zacharey's feedings that I would rather do so with pumped milk and not formula. She told me that they always encourage pumped milk whenever possible. Clearly someone needs to inform the crackhead nurse of this.


Zacharey 6 months
15lbs 5oz
27.6 inches long
16.9 inch head







No comments:

Post a Comment