Saturday 26 January 2013

The Speech Continues!

Anyone who knows me, knows that it is no secret that Nathaniel has had some serious speech issues (and serious speech issues is a total understatement). Now granted, now knowing that he wasn't/isn't hearing properly did not help. Two sets of tubes, an adnoidectomy, several hearing tests,  and almost three years of speech therapy later- HE HAS CAUGHT UP!
Words that I'd never thought I would hear from the pathologist's mouth. There are a few minor corrections still needed, his lisp and his confusion of word sequencing. All minor in comparison.
Going back through old videos, I have really come to realize just how bad his speech was. I knew it was bad, I knew he had serious issues. I just didn't realize it was that bad.
His pathologist finished his assessment on Tuesday and will be keeping him in the Early Expressions system until she is forced to discharge him as he will age out of the program. He will be thrown into the Limestone District School Board's system but, like most things, is totally over booked and he will more than likely be forgotten about.
I am so happy that all the hard work he has done, we have done has finally paid off.

:)





Photo Credit: Kimberly Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment